My Ultimate Resolve: to ACTUALLY DO all of those things that I saw on pinterest and thought "Hey, I want to do that"

Monday, September 9, 2013

21. Make 8 meals in 1 hour: Cilantro lime Chicken w/ corn and black beans

Yes, yes - another freezer meal that I whipped up today and just dumped in the crockpot. I am not sure I will ever find time to put several meals in bags and freeze all at once. I have only done that one time - all the others have been like tonight where it is prepared the day of.
Well, I guess I need to make goals

Anyway - fabulous pin, fabulous post and I have nearly made every recipe on this post now (except for the ribs one - I may never make that one - I don't mind eating ribs, but buying them scares me) and this one certainly didn't disappoint (pinned 27 weeks ago)



And here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
Juice from 2 limes

1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 (16 oz) bag frozen corn

2 minced garlic cloves

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 tsp cumin
 
salt and pepper to taste
Directions: 
Place all ingredients in a resealable gallon-sized freezer bag. Mix together and zip bag closed.
When ready to eat, remove from freezer and thaw in fridge for 24 hours. Cook on LOW for 8 hours (or HIGH for 4 hours). 
Serve with tortillas and toppings such as with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and cheese.
Recipe adapted from Over the Big Moon

We ate it so quickly that I had to take a pic of the leftovers. Hey, it's Monday - and every Monday night is hectic.

Major Changes: I used bottled lemon juice instead of lime (I know, I know - I changed a TITULAR INGREDIENT!!!!! -but I still can't see going to the store just for limes. I also wish I had a Hispanic grocery store near me. Hispanics will NOT overpay for limes---- but they are just so expensive everywhere else.) I KNOW FOR SURE that true lime would have made it better, but I'll just have to be more prepared next time
I did not use a whole bunch of cilantro - I just used about half of my bunch. I thought that a whole bunch of  cilantro would overdo it (not for me, because I could just munch on the stuff raw I love it so much, for the rest of the fam) But after cooking for so long I guess it loses its punch because I could barely taste it. I will use an entire bunch next time
And I shaved about 4 frozen corn cobs - again (A wonderful neighbor gave me about 34 ears of corn earlier and it is one of those gifts that just keeps on giving)

No comments:

Post a Comment